Re: Using rsync to duplicate a system

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:39:06AM -0700, moseley@hank.org wrote:
> I have one machine that is running http, DNS master and a mail server.  I
> want to first create and then maintain with rsync a backup machine that
> under normal operation will run DNS (as a secondary slave) and secondary MX.
>
> The idea is if the Primary fails I could update /etc/network/interfaces and
> /etc/hostname, bring up http, and quickly replace the primary.
>
> Anyone have examples of a similar setup?  Seems like the backup system would
> need root access of the primary, which seems like a security nightmare.
>
> The idea is to only have to worry about the primary machine, with software
> updates and config file changes automatically getting done on the backup
> machine.

Hmm, this might not be "quick" enough in terms of restore time, but you
might be able to work something out using systemimager, which is an
rsync based package that does a similar job to something like Norton
Ghost.  It's open source, so should be tweakable if needs be.  The
upstream version at http://www.systemimager.org is up to 3.01, but the
versions in testing and stable are older.

- Chris