Re: linux copying

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 01:19:52PM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 11:10, Konstantin Kostadinov wrote:
>
> [***SNIP!!!***]
>
> > another way is to tar and untar trough pipe without first tar and after this untar (if you do not space)
> >
> Offhand, isn't that what cpio -p is for? Passthrough bulk
> copy/replication?

Yup. I vastly prefer

 # mount /targetdev /target
 # cd /source
 # find | cpio -padm /target

to the cp and tar solutions presented thus far.  However, people seem
to really freak out about this solution for some reason so I almost
never mention it these days.  Perhaps it's because most people don't
use find often enough to know which switches to use? (-xdev, -dev,
etc.)  cpio seems to be a mystery to most people.  At least we're not
cursed with pax.

  Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small
  minds discuss people.
          -- Laurence J. Peter