Re: FW: UPS question about /etc/rc0.d/S90halt and /etc/init.d/ups-mon itor (woody)

Roland Gerlach said:

> I realise that the system would be turned off after the "shutdown grace
> delay" in the ups but wouldn't it be nicer to the system if the "halt ..
> -p" command at the end of S90halt was run so that the PC powers itself off
> rather than suffer a power failure?

suppose it depends on the system. I'd much rather have the system
"suffer" a power failure. Many systems, especially SMP systems do not
auto power off, they cannot. all APM functionality is disabled in SMP
kernels(saftey reasons). Sometimes a system may hang forever on shutdown
if a NFS mount cannot be unmounted cleanly. Last year when my company
had a severe power outage I had to crash several systems manually because
of the NFS thing(yank the power plug). Powering off the UPS will also
power off anything else on the UPS, switches, routers etc that probably
don't have auto shutdown software. It's the best way to make absolutely
sure the system is shut off. Well it's the only way to make absolutely
sure. In my case it was vital that most machines were powered off because
the room would get very hot if they were on during a blackout(~60 systems
in a room, with no generator for the A/C). luckily I got them shut
down within 20 minutes and the temperature never went above 77 degrees F.

though I have not used that particular piece of software, only
Network UPS tools and APC Powerchute and APC network shutdown.

nate