Re: [OT] XFree sluggish after RAM upgrade

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 20:02, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2003-05-12 18:07:02, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > After I swapped out 3x 256MB DIMMs for 512MB DIMMs, the GUI sub-system
> > is sometimes sluggish when switching between virtual desktops and when
> > opening windows.
>
> No, but I have heard about only certain size of memory being cachable
> (so it may be a limit imposed by the size of your cache or a bios
> setting).

I remember that because of the size of the cache, certain Pentium 1
boards wouldn't cache more than, say, 64MB RAM, but I thought that
was engineered away now.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |