Re: vfat to ext2/3 conversion...

 --- Don Werve <donw@yosemite.examen.com> escribió: > On Mon, May 12, 2003 at
05:33:38PM +0200, Josh wrote:

> > i have some hdd using vfat fs.
> > since i'm no longer using windows, is there a way to convert this vfat
> > fs to ext2 or ext3 without loosing data ?
>
> No, but you can very easily make an archive of the data (with tar or
> afio), use fdisk to change the partition type to 'Linux', run mke2fs(8),
> and restore the data from the archive -- provided you have sufficient
> space to make an archive in the first place.

I have a question along the same lines.  Here is my current setup (on my
firewall/router box):

hda:
     hda1 (1.3GB msdos) Win98 [LILO on MBR]

hdb:
     hdb1 (1.5GB msdos) ***
     hdb2 (512MB linux-swap) swap partition
     hdb3 (4.4GB ext3) debian /

Here are my questions:

1.  ***: How do I figure out what is on here?  (I did the install so long ago
that I forgot what I picked, but when I 'mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/tmp' there is
nothing there and the df output shows that it is msdos and 100% full.  'ls -a'
also shows nothing other than the . and ..)
2.  How do I erase Win98, convert to ext3 AND not screw up LILO in the process
(I have no important data on hda1 to preserve)?
3.  How do I properly incorporate the freed diskspace (from hdb1 and hda1) into
/?

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es