hostname problems

I have a small network : (teal) Debian Woody, (avocet) Mandrake 9.0 and a
smoothwall server running dhcp.

The network works just fine i.e. teal and woody can see each other and both
can see the internet through the smoothwall router. The problem I am having
is that upon boot I get errors in the syslog from any programs that use
get_local_host eg. lpd and checkpc say "teal.lakin bad". I have tried using
(in the /etc/hostname) teal, teal.lakin,teal.lakin.co.uk. I have also
appended details in the /etc/hosts file with the currently allocated IP
address.

The reason that this is a problem is that I want to setup a network printer
(attached to avocet) but it seems that all the tools related to printing
error.gethostname() is usually the common factor in the error messages. Any
pointers would be welcome.

Thanks.

--
		Alan Lakin