problems with VLC not playing sound after reboot

VLC is acting weird. after I install it it works perfeclty. if I reboot, the
auto does not play at all. I looked at the messages and it tells me this as
the reason:

[00000177] main audio output error: option audiofile-path does not exist
[00000177] oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/dsp)

I have tried setting /dev/dsp to 666 to make sure there is nothing int he way
of VLC using  it and I have no idea why it cannot find its own audio file.

has anyone else seen this? and if so is it a known problem with the software
or is it more likely a setup issue with my system?

thanks,

Jeremy