Re: bind lan names verses real names

Under potato I had a similar setup. Where everything was on sipder, but I recently upgraded my boxes, so I decided to do everything from scratch. I was thinking, since spider couldn't answer *.mylan.lan questions, the clients would then contact the 2ndry server which is my desktop, which is pretty much always on. Why I went with a 2nd nameserver for the lan is that you could get info on my lan, 196.168.1.x boxes from the internet. Which I don't think was a great security crisis or anything, but It didn't seem right.

From: "Matthew King" <matthew.king@monnsta.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: bind lan names verses real names
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:00:57 +0100 (BST)

> one of my boxes, spider,  has a dsl connection to the internet, it NATs
> the  lan machines. I also have a real internet domain. I have the real
> domain  working fine, running bind on spider. My homepages, etc work
> from the  internet.
>
> But I still have a problem, spider, can't get local names.
>
> Having both servers in /etc/resolv.conf does not work. I thought it
> would,  but Its not.  Can I use the forwarders section in
> /etc/named/conf? That  would mean spider would refer all its internet
> lookups to my desktop system,  which does not seem like a good
> solution.

Bind on your spider box doesn't know how to look up domains ending in .lan
(it looks up .uk, then co.uk, then domain.co.uk, each time finding a new
server which hosts it).
The easiest solution will probably be to slave your .lan domain on spider,
the cleaner solution may be to have spider master both domains and your
desktop slave them.
This is close to what I do (actually I just use one domain for internal
and external IPs (and IPv6)) but I have an actual box on the net so my
gateway slaves off that and my desktop doesn't run bind at all.
Matthew

--
K++  w--- O-- M+ V? PS+>++ PE(--) Y+>++ PGP+++@ t+ 5-- X+(-) R tv-