Re: flash plugin

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 03:17:21AM -0300, James LeClair wrote:

> I,m curious, does any one know the answer to this question; What are
> the main differences between suSE, Debian, mandrake, redhat,
> slackware?

That's a fairly ambiguous question, but here are some of the differences
I'm aware of:

PACKAGING:

SuSE, Mandrake, and Red Hat
   - use an RPM based package management system.  Thus, they have all
     the pros and cons associated with this package management system
     (some love it, some hate it).

Slackware
   - uses it's own TAR based packaging system.  I've never really used
     it, so I have no input on it one way or the other.

Debian
   - uses a DEB based package management system.

STRUCTURE:

SuSE, Slackware, and Mandrake
   - never used them long enough to get a true fell for their structure

Red Hat
   - structure changes quite frequently and appear to be largely
     marketing driven.  This seems to mean that latest whiz-bang
     features and products are included with little concern for how
     6.0 through 7.2, normal upgrade was a reinstall).

Debian
   - Clearly defined structure governed by Policy.  Policy is readily
     available to anyone and everyone.  One tenant of this is that
     config files are sacrosanct (not sure of any other distro with this
     stance).

I'm sure there are other differences, but these should give you a
start.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar