Re: Using XP partition under VMWare

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 01:07:29PM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
} I'm currently dual-booting Debian GNU/Linux and Windows XP. I'd like to
} configure VMWare to use this existing partition. However, I'm a little
} concerned about the XP activation proceedure and some of the warnings in
} the VMWare help documents.
}
} Just wondering if any of you have done this and whether you'd have some
} advice.

Yes, I've done this. First off, the instructions on how to make the
partition usable under VMWare (i.e. grabbing two files off the XP disc and
adding a line to the windows bootloader config) work. Second, since VMWare
looks like different hardware to XP, you will have to activate Windows
every time you switch. This doesn't mean every time you boot XP, just if
you boot XP under VMWare after booting directly, or vice versa. I seem to
recall that Microsoft only lets you activate so many times, so you should
probably avoid switching if possible.

} Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD
--Greg