Re: Partition scheme for Debian installation

Matthias,

I may just opt for LVM as Craig just recommended. But out of curiosity,
do you mean assigning 8G to /home and install all softwares to /home?
My guess is that this is for the purpose of one single user desktop,
where any installed software is not for sharing by other users.

One of the reasons I understand to put /usr or even /usr/local on
seperate partition is that they hold non-distribution softwares. So putting
them on seperate partition would  not be erased if I (have to) reinstall
Debian itself.

Wei

Am Mon, 2003-05-12 um 12.06 schrieb Wei Wang:
> Hi, all,
>

> I'm just about to install Debian on my laptop and am wondering if I
> could have some advice on
> partition scheme.
>
> I have assigned a swap partition of 800MB and have 14GB left. I've

800Mb swap is  maybe a bit much. If you have 256Mb RAM, 400Mb swap will
do (heck even 300 is enough).

>  been reading the "partitioning for Debian" section
> of the installation of Debian manual for intel x86, and also "securing
> Debian HOWTO" has a few passages for partitioning.
> So I've had a rough idea of what factors I should take into
> consideration. But I still have some little questions.
> I will use my laptop mainly for personal use, not as a server. So my
> concern for partition is mainly for safty reason.
> It seems that these directories should be put on a seperate partition:
>
> /usr/local or /opt (I learned this is for non-distribution software)
> So this can be very big if I install lots of non-distribution
> software?
>                             for example, DBMS, sun java jdk, Jbuilder,
> etc. Should I mount /usr/local and /opt to the same partition later?
> Otherwise
>                             I'd need 2 seperate partitions for them?
> /usr                   I planned to give this directory 8GB before I
> heard about putting /usr/local or /opt a seperate partition.
> /home                1.5GB?
> /var                    2GB? (Since I won't be running mail server, I
> wouldn't need a seperate /var/mail partition, right?)

Heh, i have close to 100.000 mails in my archive and they don't even
fill up *one* Gb.

> /tmp                  100MB
>
> So now / is left with 2.5GB. Is that going to be enough?

For a desktop-only system to which no untrusted person has access to, i
recommend the following partitions:

/var/log 300Mb  (you don't want syslog to fill your HD
     with errormessages if you have faulty
     RAM etc. Putting /var on its own
     partition isn't really necessary)

/home  8Gb  Always put anything important into
    /home/$USER. Will make upgrades / new
    installs a *lot* easier!

/tmp  300Mb  Not really needed, but doesn't harm
    either.

/  The Rest

IMHO it's not necessary to put /usr,/opt or /usr/local on its own
partition if your / is big enough, it just complicates things on a
desktop machine. If you need more space on / later, you can still add
a new HD to use as /usr and/or /usr/local, /opt later!

PS: Be sure to choose ext3 as filesystem. In my experience it's much
more robust than reiserfs!

HTH and happy installing!
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice