Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:05:41AM +0200, Eric wrote:
> As mentioned above, a font server is very useful when it is accessed
> through the network. But it is also even more useful when used in a
> multi-OS environment.

Yup.

> Once your favorite app, requesting specific fonts, is installed on your
> Debian system and your font server is running, you know that you will be
> able to redirect this app to the X server of whatever machine running
> XYZ os with no pain (you just want to configure your X servers accross
> your lan to access the right font server).

That's a good point.

> Of course, font server is useless on standalone machines, which concerns
> a lot of people (you don't want to access a font server across the
> internet!)

This was kinda my point: a lot of people are using font servers on
standalone XFree86 4-based machines, which is, as far as I can see,
unnecessary.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?