Re: got dma working with hdpram

On Sunday 11 May 2003 11:27, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "Jeremy" == Jeremy Petzold <jpetzold@earthlink.net> writes:
>
>     Jeremy> but 2 questions, 1) how to I retain the settings between
>     Jeremy> boots
>
> If you got DMA turned on with hdparm the way to do it at boot is to
> put the command in a file in /etc/init.d/ and create links in
> /etc/rc2.d/ and so on (rc2.d for run level 2, rc3.d for run level 3).
>
> The simplest way to do this, IMHO, is to install the hwtools
> package. This will give you /etc/init.d/hwtools which you can edit to
> add the hdparm commands. They are already in the file but commented
> out. The package will also give you all the symlinks from the other
> run levels.
>
> Cheers!
> Shyamal

this is what is in my hwtools file:

#!/bin/sh
#
#       /etc/init.d/hwtools (previously /etc/rc.boot/hwtools)
#

# Optimize interrupts. You might want to add parameters if you want
# to favor ttyS1 or ttyS0 or something else.
if command -v irqtune >/dev/null 2>&1; then
#   irqtune [PUT ARGS HERE]
   true
fi

# hdparm optimization
# Switches on interrupts during transfers and does multi sector transfers
if command -v hdparm >/dev/null 2>&1; then
#   hdparm -q [PUT ARGS HERE]
   true
fi

# configure QIC-02 interface
# see qic02conf(8)
# qic02conf --card= --port= --dma= --irq=

what do I need to uncoment? and do all I need to do is insert hdparm -d1-c1
/dev/hdc ? if so where?

also I would like to get it working for hda so where would I put that
statement?

the reason I ask is because others have said I need an init script.

thanks

Jeremy