Re: Unable to install 'sarge' from cdrom

Please report this to debian-testing@lists.debian.org.

> Method 3: Download the 'rescue floppy set' from Debian. They boot ok.
> I get all the way down the installation steps until it is trying to
> load the system. Then I get message 'no such script:
> /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/sarge' Sure enough if I look there ,there
> is no script for 'sarge', just for 'sid' & 'woody'.

You need to use a current version of debootstrap to install sarge (i.e.
not the one in woody; lots of the changes in sarge that debootstrap
needs to cope with hadn't happened yet then).

> Question: Can 'sarge' be installed using debootstrap, or must it use
> the new 'Dedian installer'?

The Debian installer uses debootstrap, but it uses a current version.
The one in Debian unstable should be fine; you can build it from source
for other systems.

> Question: Can I download a 'Debian installer' that works for 'sarge'?

sarge is still in development, and its installer is being rewritten from
scratch. By trying to use it you're accepting the responsibility to
report bugs about it to its developers. :-)

If you'd rather not do that, you can install woody and upgrade to sarge
from there.

Cheers,