Unable to install 'sarge' from cdrom

I am trying to install 'sarge' from commercial cdroms.

Method 1:
Boot from 1st cdrom and follow debian installer steps. All appears ok until
  step 15: install the base system
This step immediately flashes something on the screen (much to fast to read). I looked in /var/log/messages & in /var/log/syslog and the only thing that looked suspicious was 'syslog.err klogd: cramfs: wrong magic' & 'syslog.warn klogd: unable to identify cdrom'.

Method 2:
Made a 'rescue floppy set' from the cdrom. They will not boot. I get '0400' continuously.

Method 3:
Download the 'rescue floppy set' from Debian. They boot ok. I get all the way down the installation steps until it is trying to load the system. Then I get message 'no such script: /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/sarge' Sure enough if I look there ,there is no script for 'sarge', just for 'sid' & 'woody'.

Method 4:
Downloaded debootstrap.rpm and installed it on my Mandrake 9.1 system. Also downloaded 'basedeb.tar' & tried the installation from the Mandrake 9.1 system. I got as far as method 3. Same message and no script for 'sarge'.

Question: Can 'sarge' be installed using debootstrap, or must it use the new 'Dedian installer'?

Question: Can I download a 'Debian installer' that works for 'sarge'?

Could I just have a bad cdrom 1?

Thanks for any help. I am out of ideas on how to proceed.

Charles