new kernel >>> can't boot into debian (not solved yet)

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jerome Acks Jr <jracksjr@bellatlantic.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: new kernel >>> can't boot into debian (not solved yet)
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 23:16:01 -0400

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:08:42PM -0600, Gezim H wrote:
> Like suggested I did boot with the CD, it booted kernel-2.2.20-idepci, and
> then I did
> dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.20_MyKernel2.4.20.deb
> so it would ask me to make a boot disk again, and I did, it aked me to add
> some block devices to lilo (or something like that), I said yes. Then I
> went to lilo changed kernel from 2.2.20-idepci to 2.4.20, when I rebooted
> same thing, just a BLACK screen.
> What do I do?

Did you or the kernel installation scripts rerun lilo when you
installed the kernel?
What is contents of your /etc/lilo.conf?
Are you compiling your 2.4.20 kernel to use initrd?
Do your boot posts display any error messages before you get a black
screen?
What configuration options did you change from stock debian kernel
before you compiled it?

--
Jerome
<< attach3 >>

Yes, I changed lilo.conf to include /boot/kernel-2.4.20 instead of kernel-2.2.20-idepci, then I ran it. Lilo works fine, because lilo shows up but then the monitor light blinks twice or so, and just the black screen apears, no errors, no anything. The funny thing is that it seems as the monitor is off, because if I wait for a little while, and press <CTRL>+<ALT>+<DEL> it reboots fine.
I'm not sure what initrd is!
I compiled a whole new kernel with new options, so I don't know the options of 2.2.20 kernel.

P.S.: I tried doing another 3 times or so...