Re: Dmesg errors concerning hdd

On Sat, 10 May 2003, JS Bangs wrote:

> I get a whole slew of errors that show up under dmesg concerning my cd-rw
> drive, hdd. I'm unclear about what the significance of the messages are,
> since I can mount data cd's on the drive without any problem, but I can't
> yet burn cd's. The error messages are completely opaque to me, so I'm
> pasting them in here to see if anyone knows what they mean or has
> suggestions for fixing them:

burning cdrw implies you have its drivers setup
	- load the scsi stuff
	- load the various kernel options

	http://www.Linux-1U.net/CDRW/#Kernel

> hdd: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, DMA
> VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
> spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
> VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
> VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,64)
> hdd: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdd: packet command error: error=0x50
> ATAPI device hdd:
>   Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
>   Invalid command operation code -- (asc=0x20, ascq=0x00)
>   The failed "Get Configuration" packet command was:
>   "46 02 00 1e 00 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 "
> hdd: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdd: packet command error: error=0x50

- put your cdrw drive on a cable all by itself

- use an ata-66 cable ( 80-conductor ) instead of the 40-conductor
  cheap stuff

- what is the output of
	hdparm -iv /dev/hdd

- turn off all the disk drive optimizations
	- try:  hdparm -d0 -u0 -c0 -m0 /dev/hdd

- make sure the bios is set for autodetect on the hdd ports

- make sure the chipset is supported by the kernel

- blah .. blah

c ya
alvin