DynDNS clients (was cron.hourly doesn't run)

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 11:02:36AM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> * Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) [030510 01:56]:
> > On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 12:59:45AM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > > That's *not* a problem, is it ??
> >
> > Nope.  But if you're using dhclient, you might find it better to work
> > it into /etc/dhclient-script, in which it'll only run when the DHCP
> > lease is renewed, which will save you and dyndns some processor time
> > and bandwidth.
> >
> I do need a client that supports "broadband" routers, specifically my
> Linksys BEFSR41. I see that 'ddclient' does.
>
> On the unix page, there's only two listed that do: ddclient and ipcheck.

I'm using ddclient personally (it supports my router, too), and it seems to
work, but:

1)  It does not appear to be a question of "wakes up when your IP
changes" as Paul said:  In my reading of the help output, the daemon mode
wakes up at a (user-specified) interval, and checks for a changed IP;
passing the update to DynDNS iff there's been a change.  Mine's set to an
interval of 5 min -- I don't remember whether that was a default...

2)  ddclient seems to be a hog, and I suspect it of having a memory
leak(?).  Top tells me that it's currently using 1.1% of my CPU and 13% of
my memory.  (In contrast, xmms playing an MP3 stream is using 0.1% CPU and
3.9% mem.)  After ddclient's been running for a few days, that'll sometimes
climb to 50% mem and the system gets unusably slow until I restart
ddclient.

So now I'm thinking about Paul's suggestion of working it into
/etc/dhclient-script instead of letting it run as a daemon...
Sadly, most of what's in that script is over my head.  I don't suppose
anyone has an example they feel like posting, so a n00b like me will know
*where* to work a call to ddclient into that script...?

	Cheers!