Re: resolv.conf appears incorrect upon reboot

Elie De Brauwer wrote:

On Friday 09 May 2003 11:12, Emre ISIK wrote:
After my internet access had problems, I realised that IP numbers were
accepted, while internet addresses were not. I've realised that my
/etc/resolv.conf had changed to have a different (perhaps default) DNS
number (172.20.0.1) than the one I had set during the first
installation. When I change it by hand, I access everyhwere. But when I
reboot the system, it takes the same DNS number again. Lastly, how can I
reconfigure my network settings using debconf (I mean dpkg-reconfigure
?what?)? Can anyone help me? I "live" in a LAN which uses a DHCP server.

If you configure your interfaces using DHCP, maybe the dhcp server is setup
the wrong way so that is pushes a wrong nameserver (which overwrites) your
resolv.conf.

I have a friend who just set up a Debian server for his Dad's shop, which has the exact same problem. I also suspect, as Elie suggests, that the problem is that the switch/router/DSL modem/DHCP server is feeding bad DNS info to the clients, but my friend's dad can't recall/find the password to get into the DHCP server's setup. Good thing Linux doesn't require reboots very often ;-)

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)