PCMCIA difference between install and run

I have just installed a laptop with Debian, using the network install.  This
I did by enabling PCMCIA support during the install, and I had a Netgear FA410
card plugged into the PCMCIA socket.  All went well, all that was needed was
downloaded, and so I proceeded to the reboot.

Now the fun starts, because the now when cardmgr loads the support for the
FA410 (pcnet_cs) it does not work.  pcnet_cs loads OK, and ifconfig will set
an address, I can ping the address, but not the rest of the net.

So I removed the FA410, and put in a 3com card, which works 100% in all
respects.

So my question is why the support for the FA410 is different between when
I install and when I am running?

Thanks in advance

David