Re: Cooling requirements of 7200 rpm HD's

On 07 May 2003 18:46:09 -0500,
Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 19:50, csj wrote:
> > Do 7200 rpm hard disk drives have any special cooling
> > requirements?  I have a box that's running a 20 GB 5400 rpm
> > HD fanless without any problems.  Can I simply slap on a 7200
> > rpm HD (either a Seagate or Maxtor 80 GB) on the same box?  I
> > don't want to spend a single cent on snake oil.
>
> They do run hotter, so on a fanless system, I'd look for a
> quiet, low-rpm fan to exhaust the case, and make sure a vent is
> near the HDD so that room air will be pulled over it on it's
> way out the exhaust fan.  Bigger (120mm & 92mm) fans are
> quieter, since they can move more air at a lower RPM than
> smaller fans.

To summarize the replies I've gotten so far:

(1) just replace the HD
(2) add an exhaust fan
(3) add a hard drive fan

Checking out the prices on my favorite computer shop, I see that
solution #2 is cheaper than solution #3.  For that extra placebo
of safety, I'll probably go for #2, unless I can still find a
5400rpm 80GB drives by a reputable manufacter.  BTW, has anybody
had any experience with a Samsung drive?

Thanks to all that replied.