crossplatform multi-cd archives

Hello,

Today, I was faced with the problems of archiving a few directories
one a debian woody server to CDs.  The server is connected via samba to
a windows machine with a burner, so burning the CDs is not an issue.
However, I was faced with the problem of splitting the archives across
several CDs, in such a way for the archives to be easily accessable from
a typical windows or linux machine.

Since winzip can extract tar files, tar seems to be the easy way of
making a crossplatform backup, accessable from both linux and windows.
`tar -c -L 665600 -f archive.1.tar -f archive.2.tar -f archive.3.tar
-f archive.4.tar -f archive.5.tar -f archive.6.tar ... dir1 dir2
dir3 ...` will break up the directories into 650MB files, which can be
extracted from a windows machine.

However, *no* compression takes place, which makes this process rather
wasteful.  I can tar and compress the files first, piping to standard
output, then use split to split the files, but unarchiving them then
requires the knowledge of arcane DOS commands, as well as all of the
CDs.  zipsplit also looks promising, but seems to require the creation
of the zipfile first, which then becomes very disk-space intensive.

Any ideas?

~ Jesse Meyer
--
        ...crying "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"... ~ HPL
 icq : 34583382              |     === ascii ribbon campaign ===