Re: imap sharing debian list mail for multiple users

On Thu, 08 May 2003, Mark Devin wrote:

> Say you have multiple users on your system and they all like to read the
> debian-user mailing list.  Now if they all subscribe to the list for
> their own personal copies of each mail then this increases the load on
> the server.
>
> What would be a better approach would be to have an imap account which
> receives all debian-user mail and each user can map this account using
> their favourite mail client.  Obviously, users shouldn't be able to
> delete or move mail from this list as this might upset other users.
>
> What are the solutions to this problem?  I have noticed that some people
> frquenting this list have email addresses like: debian@example.com.  Is
> to address this issue?

There is a debian-user list->news gateway.  Of course, its only one way,
mail is converted into news, and news cannot be posted.  I'm told that
by altering the moderation status of the group, you can get posts to be
mailed to the list, instead of trying to be posted via the newsgroup.

--
        ...crying "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"... ~ HPL
 icq : 34583382              |     === ascii ribbon campaign ===