Re: What is GnuPG UID for?

* Fernando Shayani (fernando_shayani@yahoo.com.br) [030506 09:21]:
> Can anyone help me understand what is the GnuPG User ID is for?
>
> I understand that I can make more than one UID with the same keypair,
> but what's that for? And how can I choose witch one I want to use to
> sign the message each time?

You don't choose; they're both in the key.  Looks like you already have
two UIDs.  I see this when I verify your sig:

[-- PGP output follows (current time: Thu 08 May 2003 11:08:31 AM PDT) --]
gpg: Signature made Tue 06 May 2003 08:22:37 AM PDT using DSA key ID 9427703E
gpg: requesting key 9427703E from wwwkeys.us.pgp.net ...
gpg: Good signature from "Fernando Shayani (Shayani.NET) <fernando@shayani.net>"
gpg:                 aka "Fernando Shayani (BAHAI) <fernando@aen.bahai.org.br>"

Indicating that you have 2 uids:
"Fernando Shayani (Shayani.NET) <fernando@shayani.net>"
and
"Fernando Shayani (BAHAI) <fernando@aen.bahai.org.br>"

It's useful in case someone without your key wants to send you an
encrypted mail, they can look up your key on a keyserver via your email
address.  If different people know you by different email addresses, you
might want multiple UIDs on the same key.  That's just one reason, I'm
sure you could think of other reasons why you might want it.

good times,
Vineet