CD-RW errors

Im having a problem with dd and anything that wants access to my CD-RW
drive.  Well not everything.  I can mount stuff and play cd's using
xmms, but anything that wants to read the raw device or write using the
scsi layer faults out.  I have all my configs setup correctly, but I can
not get cd copying(using dd) nor cd burning(XCDroast, gcombust) to
work.  Here are some error messages to chew on.  Any Ideas? Thank you.

dd if=/dev/scd0 of=Puller.iso
dd: reading `/dev/scd0': Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.009222 seconds (0 bytes/sec)
(and while doing that this appears in dmesg)
 I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 0
Also, xcdroast seems to be able to get audio data off the cd, but no
image.

--
Scott Henson <shenson2@silvercoin.dyndns.org>