Re: HP 4100n printer: any clue?

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:18:15PM -0400, Abdul Latip wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for clue on how to print to a network printer.
> I have read Printing-HOWTO, also visited linuxprinting.org;
> but still have no idea on what HP 4100n is expecting.
>
> I am using lprng, but willing to switch if I have to.
> Thanks for any clue...

I assume it is using a Jetdirect card? I am using lprng with an HP4500C
with a Jetdirect card and it works great.

http://www.lprng.com/LPRng-HOWTO-Multipart/installation.htm

That should give you a basic idea on how to get it working. The command
'checkpc' is your friend. It will check a queue and make sure it is
setup properly, and if not, will do what needs to be done. Here is my
/etc/printcap file for the Jetdirect printer:

colorlaser
        :lp=
        :rm=172.17.0.42
        :rp=text
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/colorlaser
	:lf=/var/log/colorlaser.log
	:mx#0
	:sh

Change the colorlaster to whatever you want to name the queue, and
change the :rm= to the IP address that you assign to your Jetdirect
card.

Any questions, fire them away!

--
:wq!