Java applet problem (worked before)

Hi,

My specific questions are at the bottom.

I have a problem with Internet Banking at the moment. I have talked
to support people of the bank and they say:
- we don't support linux
- no changes have been made to the applet or the site this week.

I ofcourse take the last statement with a grain of salt.

I run unstable and between the last successful transaction and the
current problems, I did an apt-get upgrade.

I use Sun j2re-1_4_1_01 and Galeon 1.2.7 + Mozilla 1.2.1. Nothing
has changed wrt to these specific packages (updates being held for
one reason or another).

Galeon about:plugins tells me that Java is installed and enabled.

Java seems to work on other sites.

I have created a brand new user to make sure that nothing in .galeon
(cookies, cache, etc) is causing problems. This new user has the
exact same problem.

I use Postbank Girotel, the error code is 3701: problem initializing
applet.

My questions:

- I suspect some system libraries have been updated. Is it possible
  that i.e. a new c library can cause some Java applets to fail,
  while others work?

- Is there a site that offers a (near) fullblown Java test so I can
  see that my system should be able to run anything?

- I have run Galeon from the command line to see if it spits
  out messages to the terminal when the error occurs. Nothing.
  Can I run Galeon and/or the Java VM in debug mode to get more
  informative error messages? How?

- Any Dutch users here who experience the same problem at the
  moment? Dit you solve the problem?

Thanks for any help,
Bob