Re: Question on External USB 2.0 hard drive enclosures.

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 12:19, Mike Dresser wrote:
> I'm rather bored with the whole process of having to shut the machine off
> to put a hard drive in it to copy data off the workstation, and would like
> to put a 120 or so gig drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure.
>
> Anyone have some recommendations on who to buy and who to avoid?
>
> I've done a little looking at newegg, and for about 45-50 dollars there's
> a few available, but that doesn't tell me how cooling is, how performance
> is, and how compatibe it is.
>
> I assume these should work just fine with a 2.4.20 kernel, I should be
> able to mount /dev/usb/something?
>
> <*>   USB Mass Storage support
>
> [ ]     Freecom USB/ATAPI Bridge support
> [ ]     ISD-200 USB/ATA Bridge support
>
> oh, and probably one of those I would assume(trial and error?)

Slightly off topic, but I'd look for an IEEE1394-based external
drive, since testing(*) shows that they are much faster than USB2.0-
based drives.

* Tom's Hardware or Anandtech; don't remember.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |