Re: Text mode boot

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 12:19, Manish Kumar Arya wrote:
> hi
>    i  want to boot my debian box in text mode by default, cuz X is not
> working properly,
> i did edited /etc/inittab file and i saw that default run leve was 2
> (but on Rhat its 5 for X and 3 for text mode multi user) . any way i
> changed it to 3 but it still got booted to Graphic mode
>
> help !
>
> -Manish
> www.LinuxIndia.net

This isn't RedFedora - runlevels 2 through 5 on Debian GNU/Linux are
originally identical, so that the sysadmin can select what is
appropriate for that site. If you want a console, <ctrl><alt><F1>
through <F6> will get you to a console; if you want to stop the
graphical login to X11 server, go into a selected runlevel's startup rc
directory (such as /etc/rc2.d) and move any S*[gkwx]dm to X99[gkwx]dm,
and set the default runlevel in /etc/inittab to that one. If X11 is
crashing and you seem to be getting nowhere at getting to a console to
make the changes, you may need to restart with linux single in Lilo (or
whatever name you use for your default kernel, followed by the word
single.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org