Re: Email setup

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 06:40:06PM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:

> You might want to look at how to run your own nameserver and set up exim
> to do
>
>      direct delivery to recipient<---(smtp over ppp dialup)----exim<---MUA

Two things:

1) you shouldn't need your own nameserver to do that.  It would just
make things faster because you would cache stuff.

2) I'd recommend against doing that over a PPP line.  One nice advantage
of letting your ISP take care of delivery for you is that it will store
and reattempt delivery in the case of temporary failure.
Say you were sending me mail.  I get my mail sent directly to a machine
on an ADSL link.  If it was down, (and I didn't have a secondary MX
server) you would fail in your delivery.  You would then have to nudge
Exim's queue again the next time you connected to ask it to reattempt
delivery.  If you just passed it off to your ISP, it would probably try
again every 4 hours for the next 4 days.

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: ben@hartshorne.net