Re: Howto write CDs with Lite On

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:38:33AM -0700, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Today, a fresh Lite On (48x24x48x) was built into my
> computer !
>
> Now my question is the following: I haven't done any
> setup yet, but reading of CDs is working without a
> problem.
> However, I don't know how to write on RW cds - if I
> try to mount, I get the following:
>
> ---------------
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/hdc,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact
> use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

Yes. /dev/scd0 (or /dev/sr0 which is a symlink to scd0) - not /dev/sda
which would be the first SCSI hard drive.

> ----------------
>
> The warning has some hint about scsi but I think Lite
> On was supposed to be IDE so I don't have any scsi
> functioning (the last time I tried to get that working
> I quit because it was messy)

You've got to use the ide-scsi emulation to write CDs with it. It
isn't that messy... you need to have "SCSI emulation support" under
"ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support --->" enabled (preferably as a module), also
"SCSI CD-ROM support" and "SCSI generic support" under "SCSI support
--->" (referring to make menuconfig). Stick "hdc=ide-scsi" in your
kernel boot parameters and stick "ide-scsi" in /etc/modules. Make sure
/dev/scd* is mode 660, owner root, group cdrom, and that your user is
in group cdrom. Also make sure that /dev/cdrom is a symlink to
/dev/scd0 instead of /dev/hdc. Reboot with your new kernel, then read
man mkisofs and man cdrecord.

Having said that, it looks to me like what you're trying to do is
mount a writable CD in such a way that you can simply write files onto
it as if it was an ordinary hard disk, like with Adaptec DirectCD and
the like in Windoze. I've never tried to do this and man cdrecord
isn't very informative about it, so I'll refrain from comment other
than to say you still need ide-scsi for it.

> The warning is probably just about there being NO file
> system (as the cd is completely empty, right ?)

True but irrelevant. The important part of that message is that it
reveals that your CD burner is not using ide-scsi, so you can't burn
with it yet.

> What should I do to solve this & get the burning
> working?
> If I've got this working, I'll first just try to write
> a backup of my files onto a RW cd, after that I'll try
> and look at burning debian cds (!!)

Duplicating ISOs is about the easiest CD burning operation there is...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons