Re: grub configuration question

Kevin,

You understand my setup:

> Specifying "kernel /boot/...." as you suggest won't work for him because
> that would tell grub to look for the kernel on the same partition as the
> grub files. His kernel is on a completely different hard drive, and his
> syntax "kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz..." is correct for that situation.

I get the feeling that the kernel command must point to the full
kernel file name unless it is to a "vmlinuz" symlink to a full
kernel (handy for juggling multiple kernel versions). Is this correct?
The autocompletion from "vm" to become "vmlinuz" was therefore
misleading, for there's no symlink (yet), just as there's no debian
grub configuration file.

> I didn't notice before, but his syntax for initrd isn't correct. He should
> have specified "initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd..." just as he did for the
> kernel.

Thanks for this correction.

My elementary question remains. When someone said that woody installs
2.2.19 or 2.4.18-bf2.4, I assume what's meant is that this these are
the two kernels selected by woody install by default. Since I'm doing
a cross install and must select my kernel, I've a better opportunity
to get into trouble. I decided the best kernel for my situation was
the 2.4.18-686, which I assume is stable and therefore does not
require the initrd statement (which apparently will even prevent me
from booting if it is present)

Are my assumptions correct? That is, is the 686 kernal stable? If so,
must the initrd statement be removed from grub configuration? And my
old question, is the 686 kernel compatible with reiserfs?

Haines Brown