Re: Debian box building - advice

I'm a bit confused by what you are asking - for instance, I don't see
the connection between kernel building and box building. If you are
talking about customizing the kernel for your hardware, then it seems
you'd want to build the box first...

In terms of building a new system and installing debian, my approach has
been thus:
1. d/l the first debian iso image and burn to a cd (which I have of
course already done and have used over and over again)
2. Build the new box
3. Modern motherboards and bios's all support booting from CD, so power
up, go into the bios, set the boot sequence as desired (I usually start
out with CD, then HD, then floppy for the initial install), put the CD
into the drive, and exit the bios so the system continues to boot, off
the debian CD.
4. Following instructions for installation. The woody installation will
give you a chance to partition the HD, which can obviously then do, and
then you can format each partition as desired (ext2, ext3, Reiser) and
complete the install.
5. I only created the first debian cd because once debian is intalled,
then I can update apt's cache and install whatever else I need, so
there's no need to d/l the other 7 cds worth of stuff when I won't use
much of it.

If you do not have a debian CD, or don't have a cd burner to make the
bootable cd, you have three main options:
1. You can d/l the boot floppies instead and install from those to the
point where your network is up and running, which should not be hard if
you are using a supported NIC, whose driver should be on the drivers
floppies;
2. You can purchase a pre-burned CD from a place like cheapbytes,
assuming (I've never checked) that they do in fact sell Debian CD's;
3. You can get a friend with a cd burner to d/l the iso and burn it for
you;
4. If all else fails, I will mail you a copy.

nl