Re: Disk Partitioning ? From a Newbie (SOLVED)

Irish, Jon D BAE SYSTEMS wrote:
I just found a note in O'Reilly's Learning Debian book that states
cfdisk does not let you create extended partitions. Thus, when the
installer got to that point, I Alt + F1'ed to a prompt, and ran the
fdisk utility. Everything is now partitioned the way I wanted it, and
the install is proceeding.

Why is cfdisk included with the install routine if it does not support
extended partitions? It seems to me that I am not the only person trying
to perform an install with multiple/extended partitions.

Thank you everyone for your help,
Jon

cfdisk automatically creates an extended partition when you make a logical partition, but only lets you have one extended partition. The only reason for multiple extended partitions is poor planning[if you wanted to and were only running linux on the box you could make every partition a logical partition and the entire hard drive one big extended partition].