Re: Disk Partitioning ? From a Newbie

On (05/05/03 14:46), Irish, Jon D BAE SYSTEMS wrote:
> I'm trying to do this for a Debian install with cfdisk. I do not see any
> options for Extended partitions within the cfdisk utility. How do I
> create the extended partition?

Hi Jon

I don't know cfdisk - I've mainly used Mac's - however, when we
partitioned my partner's Dell PC and our HP server, we used the
partition option within the install "boot floppies".  I pretty sure that
the underlying program is fdisk (Linux version not MS), which asks whether you are creating
Primary or extended partitions and then allows you to create the logical
partitions within the extended partition.

In summary, boot off the rescue.bin floppy, you will then be prompted for the
root.bin floppy - then you will get the install menu.  Select the option
"Partition a Hard Disk" and away you go.

HTH

Clive