pppoe/dsl Connectiion Problem

After following the directions in /usr/share/doc/pppoe/README.Debian and rebooting the system I find the following lines in syslog:

   Serial connection established.
   modprobe: Can't locate module tty-ldisc-3

Clearly I have overlooked something in building the kernel but what is missing is not clear to me. In checking the possibilities I have added the ppp on ethernet module and the help for this module indicates a pppd patch may be necessary. Since the system in question cannot connect to the internet, I have not yet obtained this patch. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Tom George