Re: Debian box building - advice

David Z Maze wrote:
Brian Walker <bfwalker@net-yan.com> writes:

When it comes to the part where I fire up the new computer for the
first time, IIUC, the motherboard BIOS will send the usual messages,
then stop in dismay. The next step is to format the hard disk. In the
absence of a CD of the installation, how should I proceed? I
downloaded byld-1_0_3.tgz, which gives a mini-distribution on one
floppy (I suppose I could use tomsrtbt as well?) - will that suffice
enough to

1. format the disk
2. allow me to enable a working net connection to download the
necessary installation files?

If you're downloading floppies, you can download the Debian (woody)
installer on floppies, too; it looks like you can get three floppies
and do a net install from there.  See
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst for details.

You can do a complete base install from there with 25 floppies
as i did last week. Then you can get a modem going and use apt-get.