Re: What file system for CD that will be read on OS X?

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 05:28:54PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I want to send some files via CD-R to someone using Mac OS X.  What type of file system
> should format the CD with?  Is something like vfat going to be the most portable?
>
> Also, is there a way to tell what file systems I can specify to mkfs?

you want to amke a hybrid iso9660/hfs CD

you ca use mkisofs to do this:

mkisofs -r -J -hfs -o cd.iso cdfilelocation/

-r will use rockridge extensions to iso an make the cd look sensible
under unices, -J will use MS joliet extensions and make the CD look
sensible under windows and -hfs will create an hfs filesystem which
will look sensible on a mac.

man mkisofs has lots of detail about these and other realted options.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3