LVM or Software Raid

Hi All,

I am currently setting up a server to host some domains and some email
accounts and have partitioned it to leave some 6GB free space.

I have /home and /var on separate partitions. I have left 6GB free for
the time when either home or var fills up.

What I would like to be able to do is then just attach the 6GB or part
of it to the partition that is filling up.

I have LVM installed on my desktop with no problems. However, this is
going to be a production server and wondered how reliable LVM is under
high stress situations.

Does anyone have experience with LVM / Software Raid with production
servers ? and which one is recommended.

I dont want to stick the entire drive on / since I might purchase
additional storage later and would like to be able to add that space
onto /home /var as necessary with minimum downtime.

Any pointers / opinions etc. appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: 0845 644 4745
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com