Re: what if root partition or any other becomes full

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 10:21, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 10:54:28AM -0400, Jason M. Harvey wrote:
> > hi there!
> >
> > from time to time i've thought to ask this. i better ask before it's too
> > late.
> > i have two debian boxen - one server and one workstation. both have very
> > small harddrives... both machines have one root partition that takes up
> > the entire drive... with an extra drive in each which is used as extra
> > space.
> > any idea what would happed to my server if one last upload or one large
> > email comes in and fills it up to 100% ?!? will it error-out and tell
> > me, or would things get ugly and crash?
> > as for my workstation, i am not as concered but would like to prevent a
> > fatal crash.
> > any thoughts?
>
> If you use ext2 or ext3, normal user processes can not fill the entire
> disk. There is 5% reserved for root. This means that when the disk fills
> up, random processes may start to crash, but you will always be able to
> log in as root to fix the ptoblems.

I never knew that either actually. :)

I run a small server that, among other things, hosts a mirror of the
unstable branch of Debian. All in all, it's got an 8 gb drive. So it
fills up once every week or two. :) For the most part, there aren't too
many problems. Everything keeps running, you just might lose a few
emails and a few uploads (if you run an ftp server or the such). I've
had the same problem on my desktop a few times, and the worst case
scenario was losing my preferences for gnome and evolution. I've never
had any really hard crashes due to it though.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837