what if root partition or any other becomes full

hi there!

from time to time i've thought to ask this. i better ask before it's too
late.
i have two debian boxen - one server and one workstation. both have very
small harddrives... both machines have one root partition that takes up
the entire drive... with an extra drive in each which is used as extra
space.
any idea what would happed to my server if one last upload or one large
email comes in and fills it up to 100% ?!? will it error-out and tell
me, or would things get ugly and crash?
as for my workstation, i am not as concered but would like to prevent a
fatal crash.
any thoughts?

tia,
jason