Re: wtf happened to my fonts?

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 01:23:33AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> here is a quick rundown of what i did:
>
> i have an nvidia card, so i had to compile a custom driver and all.
> when X failed to start, and i mysteriously couldn't recompile a
> kernel, i chose to boot the 2.4.18-bf24 kernel still on there from the
> installation.
>
> in order to make X work, i changed the XF86Config-4 file to use the
> vesa driver rather than nvidia, and to use 16 rather than 24 bit
> colour. i also remove the nvidia-glx package.
>
> when the new kernel ran again, i undid the above changes. that was
> all. and now i am confused. please, someone tell me what's up...

This is just a guess, but perhaps your font directories are a little out
of whack?  Try taking a look at your /var/log/XFree86*.log file(s).
Perhaps there is something in them about not being able to access a
font directory or two.  If so, try running mkfontdir on them.

HTH

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar