Re: Problems with sound

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 11:06, Rex Chan wrote:
> Hey people,
>
> I've recently installed debian using a 2.4 kernel, woody distro,
> on my asus a7v7x-x. I've tried both ac97 and ac97-codec sound modules
> for the kernel, and tried playing mp3s with them using xmms.
>
> However, xmms gives error messages, and cannot play any mp3s. I was
> wondering if anybody knows how to access some better error messages,
> rather then the standard xmms can't play because it might be in use,
> check no other device is using, bla blah error message.

It's actually a fairly accurate message, make sure that your output
plugin is the correct one: under options->preferences you probably want
the oss output plugin. If the message is still generated, check to see
if /dev/dsp is in use by running "fuser /dev/dsp" this will return a
list of process that are using the device. Run "ps ax | grep process_id"
to see which program is using it.

-Mark