Re: CPU recommendations

On Fri, 02 May 2003 10:44:26 -0400, alex <radsky@ncia.net> claimed:

> A bit off topic for this list but I haven't been able to find any up
> to date documentation about the relative merits of the various brands
> of CPUs especially for use with Debian. My only experience has been
> with the Intel P2 333MHz and I plan to upgrade with a new faster
> motherboard.
>
> Could someone offer recommendations for a motherboard and 1.5 to 2 Ghz
>
> CPU that perform well with Debian?   Cost is a consideration.

I don't know of any recent benchmarks/tests, but I've been using an
Athlon XP with a Gigabyte 7VTXE Motherboard for about one and a half
year now with nearly no problems (the on-board VIA sound chip is still
not properly supported).  In any case, I don't believe that there's a
big difference between the different CPUs/Chipsets etc.  Anyway, it
depends on what you want to do (scientific calculations? server? office?
development? gaming?).

You might be interested in

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/ultimate-linux-box/

Aaron Isotton                                 [ http://www.isotton.com ]
--
Women waste men's lives and think they have indemnified them by a few
gracious words.