LD_LIBRARY_PATH clobbered during gdm login

Version:  Debian Unstable/ gnome 2.2 / gdm 2.4.1.3-1

Hi.

When I log into the box through gdm, it finds my .gnomerc which just
runs my .bash_profile.  The latter file in turn sets a variety of
environment variables including LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Once everything is started, all of those variables are indeed set,
except for LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Does anyone know why this is?  It's a
pain since I'd like some of the applications I launch from the panel
to pick up the value I'm setting in the .bash_profile and they're
not.

Are there any pointers on how to fix this?   I didn't see anything
obvious in the docs, and google showed some other folks with the
problem, but no obvious solution.

Thanx.

Dan