Re: fstab setting to user VFAT partition

"Kevin McKinley" <ronin2@bellatlantic.net> writes:
> On Thu, 1 May 2003 08:19:34 -0700
> Michael S Daines <ax2groin@arbornet.org> wrote:
> > problem.  Here is what it is currently set to:
> >
> > /dev/hda8	/home	vfat	suid,uid=1000,gid=100	0	2
> >
> > I have it set the uid and gid, becuase otherwise my user cannot write to
> > the disk at all.  Even root, however, cannot do a chown or chgrp on
> > anything there.
> vfat doesn't support users or groups.
> Here's my fstab entry:
> /dev/hda5   /windata            vfat    user,rw,noauto      0   0
> Any of my selves can read or write to the partition.

If you want to be slightly more restrictive you can do what I did in
the past. Create a group via:

        addgroup --gid 1111 windoze

and use an fstab entry like:

/dev/hda5       /windoze        vfat    uid=0,gid=1111,umask=007  0 0

Then you can add users to the windoze group so that they can
write/read to/from the windoze partition, like

        adduser joeblow windoze

Check the syntax of all the gunk above, it's from memory and my memory
ain't what it used to be.