Re: Widespread damage? [Was: Re: nano breaks my dpkg]

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 02:48:42PM -0400, Soren Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 10:02:26AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > This is already vying for the title of the bug with most duplicate
> > reports, so please no. :)
>
> So I see. Yet this has so many different manifestations, apparently.

If you don't see link errors, or if you don't have precisely libstdc++5
version 1:3.3-0pre6 installed, it's very likely a different bug. It
should be fairly clear when update-menus blows up on installation of
many packages, though.

> Tracking it down based on the ps I did each time this happened (oh, yes,
> it was "repeatable") it looked to have connections to /usr/bin/editor
> (IIRC) which was a symlink to something in /etc/opt/ (gosh, I never even
> looked in there before).

Sure it wasn't /etc/alternatives/editor? You should restore that symlink
and use 'update-alternatives' to move it around.

> What is bizarre is that "aptconf" ("apt-conf"?)

debconf, I'd have thought.

> had always given me the nice curses-based dialog I original requested
> for doing package configurations. Now suddenly apt/dpkg weren't doing
> that but falling back (MUCH lower) onto the "editor" -style
> configuration (one step above "non-interactive"). I don't know why --
> *I* didn't do it! ;-) -- and I don't know how to fix it.

Does it display a message saying why it's falling back?

Cheers,