Re: gdmconfig is broken

Hi,

* Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> [030430 12:56]:
> I just upgraded gdm to the new version in unstable (2.4.1.3-1).  I was trying
> to run gdmconfig to get the new themed graphical greeter to display.  However,
> when I run 'sudo gdmconfig' I get a dialog with this error:
>
> An error occured while loading the user interface
> element securesysmenu from file /usr/share/gdm/gdmsetup.glade.
> Possibly the glade interface description was corrupted.
> gdm cannot continue and will exit now.
> You should check your installation of gdm or reinstall gdm.
>
> I reinstalled gdm with 'apt-get install gdm --reinstall' and I still get the
> same error.  Has anyone else run across this?  Is there an easy to fix this?

The same thing happened to me.

> I also went direclty into /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and set the options for the
> graphical greeter with the circles theme, but I still only get the traditional
> GDM greeter.  Any ideas on this?

Ditto. I tried stopping and starting gdm (/etc/init.d/gdm restart),
but the script was unable to kill gdm and therefore would not
restart. I then tried killing it by hand, but it seemed to keep
respawning itself...

Later I rebooted (to try out a new kernel), and gdm came up with the
circles theme :-)

Another problem I've found with the new gdm is that it doesn't remember
my "last" session, I think it is defaulting to a Gnome session. This
bug existed in one or more of the unofficial gdm2 deb packages.. I was
hoping it would be fixed before going into sid.

> I guess I am really starting to learn what it means to be on the bleeding edge
> :-)

Fun, isn't it!

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.4.20-looxt93c #1 Thu May 1 11:58:00 JST 2003