Re: Updating Potato to Woody (almost there)

--- Mike Dresser <mdresser_l@windsormachine.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Larry wrote:
>
> > 2) If I try to run startx as root, I get:
> > Fatal Server Error:
> > could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> try installing the xfonts-base package

Got X to come up as root now.  But I can only get X to
work as a user if I have xdm running.  I'd rather have
it off, and run startx after log on.  But when I do
that I get a message indicating that I don't have
authorization to connect to the server.

I tried: xauth -b add :0 . `mcookie`
which makes a .Xauthorization file, but I still can't
get X to come up.

Also, if I add a new user, and log on as the new user,
I cannot run X.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.