Re: galeon problems...

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 09:30, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> Hello!
>
> since galeon now is in v1.3.3 i am amazed by the loss of functionality i
> encur...
>
> the readline commands (e.g. ^W) doesn't work anymore on the URL input
> line, letting me close lots of windows in totally unexpected manner...
> that's immensely annoying....

I've been complaining about that for a VERY long time for MANY Gnome 2
applications. Unfortunately, from what I understand this is primarily a
problem with GTK, not the individual programs themselves.

> in the bookmarks page there doesn't seem to be the point add to means i
> have to add the bookmarks and then call the editor to find the link at
> the bottom of the hughe list and push it by hand through the
> hierarchy.... thought new versions would bring more features, not
> less....

Don't know much about that. I don't really use bookmarks myself.

> and last but not least, java is installed, but now i get to see  a
> application/x-java-vm missing plugin....  don't know what to do with
> that one either....

Then java isn't installed correctly. :) For starters, check that
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so exists. If it does, start
Galeon from the command line and watch for error messages. If you get
some libc errors, you need to update java to a newer version. (1.4.2
beta was released recently, which fixes the problem)

> i have to admit, that i am quite disappointed at the moment by the
> latest galeon... and noticed that speedwise the difference to mozilla
> isn't so big anymore... with the vanishing of the useful features i am
> asking myself why to continue to use that browser...

Actually, I've found the new galeon to be much faster than the old one.
ESPECIALLY tab switching. My only real complaint is the keybindings and
some of the features that haven't made it back in yet. (Sessions for
one.)

> anyway if someone has some hints on how to solve eventually parts of
> those problems, let me hear :D

Hope that helps. Good luck. :)

--
Alex Malinovich